Pelican is a static site generator, written in Python.
- Write your weblog entries directly with your editor of choice (vim!) in reStructuredText or Markdown
- Includes a simple CLI tool to (re)generate the weblog
- Easy to interface with DVCSes and web hooks
- Completely static output is easy to host anywhere
Pelican currently supports:
- Blog articles and pages
- Comments, via an external service (Disqus). (Please note that while useful, Disqus is an external service, and thus the comment data will be somewhat outside of your control and potentially subject to data loss.)
- Theming support (themes are created using Jinja2 templates)
- PDF generation of the articles/pages (optional)
- Publication of articles in multiple languages
- Atom/RSS feeds
- Code syntax highlighting
- Import from WordPress, Dotclear, or RSS feeds
- Integration with external tools: Twitter, Google Analytics, etc. (optional)
- Fast rebuild times thanks to content caching and selective output writing.
Why the name “Pelican”?
“Pelican” is an anagram for calepin, which means “notebook” in French. ;)